Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Friends, Tea, Scones etc, a History Lecture, and the amazing Westminster Abbey puzzle

Dear Diary...
er...
Hello.

I had a wonderful day yesterday, especially the evening, and this is why:

After spending the morning reading, I got myself ready and went to the grocery store to get some ingreedients for the scones I was about to make. Why was I planning on baking scones? Well, four delightful friends were to be coming that evening and we were to have a full tea, with a few ideas but no set plans regarding what we would do after that.

After making the first set of scones as I usually do, cranberry sour cream scones, I felt creative and wanted to try something new. So I made one more simple set with apricots and a bit of cinnamon thrown in leaving the last set to use as an experiment. I added Autumn spices and some pumpkin butter and heated up honey with pumpkin spices in it to use as a glaze. To go allong with it I created a whipped honey topping with pumpkin butter and spices in it. We all enjoyed it that evening so it was a success!



Anna Milczewsky came over early and read her book while I finnished the scones, then I joined her. She later went to the store to get not just milk, and not just whole milk, but very bold, very proud VITAMIN D Milk and Millano cookies, not to mention having already brought the amazing Ginger Peach tea.


Then Jill came with the beautiful tea set that she bought in Oxford, as well as cucumber sandwich makings and ham and mozzerella cheese just for me! (because I don't like cucumber or very much cream cheese... I try to like things! there are just a lot of things I'm not at all fond of..)

Once everything was prepared and set up (scones, whipped honey concoction, whipped butter with cinnamon, jam, sandwiches, rassberries and black berries, millano and shortbread cookies, and tea!) Ashley Romero and Holly Vander Wall came. We picked our tea (a mystery tea from Oxford that ended up being Earl Grey, and Ginger Peach).


After eating and drinking we cleaned up and decided to put together the puzzle that Ashley brought and requested that Jill teach us history! so as we sorted pieces and pieced together the puzzle, she explained what lead up to WWI, what happened as a result of the war, how that lead up to WWII, what went on as results of it, and how that has lead up to our current situation, especially in the Middle East. It was very enlightening and enjoyable.

We drank herbal tea and ate cookies, and I told my guests that they could not leave until the puzzle was completed! Ashley left anyways because she needed to keep grading term papers...

However, the rest stayed till 11 or 11:30 and finnished the odd Wesminster Abbey puzzle!!!



Except.........

.....

..

.

One piece was missing....

We suspect that Ashely stole one piece and took it with her so that everyone would be stuck here looking for it all night.

However, we were satisfied with our almost complete puzzle, so we said our farewells and good nights and the others departed.

It was a lovely evening. I stayed up cleaning up, doing the dishes, destroying the puzzle, and then finished a chapter in the book I'm reading and also a chapter in Isaiah and went to bed at 2 am.

Thank you my dears for a wonderful evening!

No comments: